Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sick Kiddo

Today didn't start off so well. Actually, let me back up to yesterday. I had the day off, but I had Dave drop the boys off at daycare so that I could work on my "101 Things To Do" list. The morning started off great, but I got a call from Connor's teacher at about 9:30, telling me that he had just puked EVERYWHERE. Unfortunately, at daycare, the reason for your child throwing up doesn't matter. Whether it's something they ate or a case of them running around too much right after a meal is beside the point--it's one and done. So, I called Dave at work and he said that he could pick them up (since we live an hour from our jobs and the daycare, it was easier that way, since he could get there in less than 10 minutes). Luckily, he has a job that can be done from just about anywhere, so he's usually the one to get the boys from school if one of them is sick (which, thankfully, is RARE). Anyway, I sped up my errands and got home in time to get lunch ready for Tyler, thinking that Connor would have no desire to eat anything. He did eat a few crackers, but didn't have much of an appetite. Within an hour of them arriving home, I was actually beginning to think that he wasn't sick at all--he was running around like he owned the place, laughing and playing with Tyler as usual. Early in the afternoon, he asked for a piece of chocolate out of our candy bowl in the kitchen, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to give him a Hershey's kiss. Besides, the crackers had stayed down, as well as the water that I'd been giving him. I couldn't have been more wrong--within 10 minutes, he got this weird look on his face and before I could react, a small area of my family room carpet was covered in crackers and chocolate. Thank God for Woolite Oxy Deep--I still haven't met a stain that I can't get out!

After giving him a bath (the only way I could get the smell off of him), I put him down for a nap and he slept for nearly three hours. The rest of our day was pretty uneventful and he actually ate a little bit of his dinner--and it stayed down.

This morning, Dave had to work, so I got the three of us ready for Tyler's soccer practice. We were doing great on time and were actually running a few minutes early. That feeling of accomplishment didn't last long, though; just as I picked Connor up to put him in the car, he unloaded his breakfast and his dinner from the night before all over both of us. Ick. I got both of us changed super fast and sped to the park before it had a chance to happen again. :) Connor did okay during practice; I fed him Ritz crackers and water while we watched the kids. I felt so badly for him because he just kept saying, "More cracker, Mommy, more cracker." He was starving! I was glad that he kept all of it down and decided to run by Wal-Mart after we left the park. He and Tyler talked and laughed in the car the whole way there, which made me feel better. At least until we pulled into a parking spot at Wallyworld. The second (and I'm not kidding) that I put the car into park, it happened again. Only this time, it was projectile--and kept coming. By the time he finished, it was all over the back of MY seat and covered almost every inch of his little body. Tyler's jaw was on the floor as he looked at me and said, "Mom, WHAT is wrong with Connor?" I was so sad for my little guy; he laid his head back and just stared at me. I decided that whatever I needed at Wal-Mart could definitely wait. We rushed home, I changed Connor's clothes in the garage, and got to work scrubbing vomit out of a carseat. Thoroughly disgusting task.

My baby (not feeling well) and his Ritz cracker during Tyler's soccer practice
Papa and Tyler are enjoying our new hoop. Notice Tyler's face--looks like he's already planning his rebound strategy. :)
Daddy is helping Connor with his swing.
Tyler and Connor with their playtime buddies, Mama Carol and Papa Dave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

vomit blog - hhp