Friday, August 14, 2009

First Day of School

Today was Tyler's first day of Kindergarten--a day that he has been excited about for a long time. He's never been shy and has never had issues adjusting to a new environment or people. That being said, I still wasn't prepared for him to insist on riding the bus on his first day. I asked him three times this morning if he was sure that he didn't want me to drive him to school. His response every time was, "No, Mom. I want to ride the bus; it'll be fun!" So, I drove him to the bus stop, and though he did hold back a little when he saw all of the "big kids" standing together, he walked right toward the doors of the bus when it arrived, never turning back to look at me. He plopped down in the second row, spotted me through the window, and very excitedly waved to me as the bus pulled away from the stop--with the cheesiest grin on his face that I think I've ever seen. :)

Oh, and since I felt kind of "left out" not being able to drive him to school, I decided to follow the bus and capture a few more moments from Tyler's very first day.

My handsome little man
Our neighbors, Marcus and Ebony, greeted Tyler with smiles and hugs at the bus stop.
His ship has come in! :)

Made it to school!

Saying "Good Morning" to Miss Skidis was #1 on his agenda.
Tyler and Mikey, one of his new friends.
Tyler made this picture for Miss Skidis on his last day of preschool. His class was asked to draw what they're looking forward to the most in Kindergarten.
Beth and I with our big boys!
Waiting at the door with the other "car riders" after school.
As a special treat, I took Tyler out to his daycare after school to visit his teacher & friends, since it was an early dismissal day at school.

Tyler and his best buds from preschool: John, Lucas, and Landon.
Then, we met Daddy at Noodles for lunch!
Followed by a yummy ice cream treat at Ben & Jerry's!
Afterward, we headed back to preschool to catch up with a few more of Tyler's teachers. He adores Miss Kaelyn and has always had fun clowning around with Mrs. Jennifer and Miss Alicia.
This is what Miss Skidis handed out to each of her students today. I thought it was cute and worth sharing. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Next game I need some explanation of that picasso-ish kindergarten picture. I'm sure it works on many levels :-) - hhp